Thursday, July 17, 2008

Today has been a very positive, productive day

Today has been a very positive, productive day. The foundation received several emails from complete strangers with their stories sharing their support. The age of the internet is pretty astounding. The internet has become one of those things I love to hate, yet love. Let me explain just a little bit of what I mean. I am on the internet all day at my job, which I truly enjoy. It used to be after a day in the office the last thing I wanted to see was a computer. After being on a computer all day I certainly did not want to jump on one when I got home. Since June 10, 2008 when my mom found out she “might” have lung cancer I have been on the net pretty much everything for hours on end. Searching the keywords “lung cancer, lung cancer treatment” well you get the idea. Type that into google.com and most of what comes back is truly negative. And I was allowing myself to fill my mind with negative thoughts. The fear of “what if”. I will not go into my thoughts of “what if’s”. I’ll let you use your imagination.

If you have been keeping up with my blogs and the blogs of the family you are aware we have a signed letter from a Doctor stating my mom is terminal. We as a family believe this was simply to help push us over the brick wall we keep running into. Apparently when you have a piece of paper saying you are terminal the government and other funding will help. That seems extremely strange to me. I have not heard of anyone in the world that has gotten out alive. Aren’t we all terminal? Men and women are dying in wars, children are starving all over the world, the first 8 minutes of every new cast is about someone being murdered, a car crash, a school shooting the list goes on and on. When you have an illness and statistics say time is not on your side isn’t it just a mind over matter thing? People survive horrible illnesses everyday. A very good friend of mine was told he would not walk with his graduating High School class. He had cancer as well. HE made his mind up that this would not be an end, just a new beginning. He is now 26 going to be 27 in Sept. He was terminal, and just like everyone reading this, still is.

As a family we had a remarkable day today. My mom was able to see the doctor, thanks to the funds we have raised with the foundation. Given mom’s current medical records the doctor only believes the cancer to be at stage 2b. Mom needs some more tests to be sure, however 2b is awesome. It might be in stage 3a which is still ok. When my brother asked the Dr what if it is stage 4, the doctor said “let’s not even go there, I don’t think it is”. When I heard what the doctor said I knew we had finally stuck gold. If a doctor is going to be positive then it will help ease the feelings inside of all of our family. Something even more remarkable, the doctor visits are $390 each time regardless of the amount of time the doctor see’s my mom. Mom’s doctor is so cool she said most things can be handled over the phone. Thus saving us and the foundation a lot of money. The other miraculous thing is we have raised enough money for the next set of tests. Not but a week ago we (as a family) were not sure how we were going to pay the $390 for today’s doctor visit. It’s amazing how when you focus on the outcome and not the means to get there, it just happens.

So the typical Dan blog, I go on to long and as I type what I had originally planned to blog about completely changed. Much like life, sometimes what we have planned for life doesn’t always turn out how we have planned yet with every new step there is a new discovery. This week I have discovered how powerful my family is as a unit. When we all pulled together and took action, things began to happen.

As I close this blog I have to mention the foundation just received an email from a comedian in Boston, the other side of the country, offering to do a comic show. He is even will to gather 3 more comedians all we need to do is secure the venue. He will even make the flyer to promote it. His email came from a craigslist posting my uncle Tim did. Maybe the internet is not all that bad.

May god and the universe bless you and those around you,

Dan Hart

No comments: